Sunday, April 26, 2009

I have a spotted croton that has grown a vine with what looks to be small flowers causing the plant to lean.?

I received what I have been told is a spotted croton about 4 years ago as a gift. It was about 8 inches tall and has grown to be over 5 feet tall. Its leaves come out of what seems to be a thin tree trunk (yes it has changed to a bark like trunk) and they spiral around it to maintain its balance as the trunk is very thin. The leaves are dark green with yellow spots.


The top of the plant has developed a vine that appears to have small blooms(?) they are very thin and yellow/white. They now have a yellow/green sap near the center of each flower. This vine is causing the plant to bend over.


Is there a way to straighten the plant at the top? The growth pattern of the leaves prevent inserting a pole to tie the plant to. Should I remove this new growth? I am leary of cutting it since I don't know if the plant will continue to grow if I do that.

I have a spotted croton that has grown a vine with what looks to be small flowers causing the plant to lean.?
it really just needs support, they have large supports at Lowes or any garden center that are cone shaped, or many other shapes, im sure there is something that will suit it, maybe if its close to a wall or another tree you can tie it to something, i dont think cutting it would hurt it any but it s sounds like a nice plant i wouldnt want to


No comments:

Post a Comment