Sunday, April 26, 2009

I have a Croton bell how do u take care of them?

I have a croton bell plant the colourfull one. When i got it home I transplanted it and waterd it good. The next day it wilted big time. I don;t have a window in my apt that has 4 hrs of direct sunlight. I was wondering if I could use a lamp for the 4 hrs for the sunlight it needs and then put it back on my window ledge. I really could use some help becuase I don;t want my plant to die. Thnxs so much

I have a Croton bell how do u take care of them?
Croton.......you need to talk to steve or are you one person?


Use a gro light to supplement the light.


you can leave it on 24 hrs a day and the croton will like every bit of it. A regular light bulb will not do, it must be a gro light. 12-20 inches away from the plant- your hand should be able to make a distinct shadow.


Wilting may be caused by too much water, too cold temperature, a draft or soil that is too dry.


Crotons can handle being very root bound, it will not bother them. They don't like thier roots disturbed.


They like humidity. you can rinse the leaves and it will help . Just make sure you do this without adding water to the soil.


When you repotted it did the roots look ok, there should have been a lot that were white and firm. Dead roots are wiry, hollowed brown and black.


You may have made a common mistake- repotting a newly acquired plant.


Plants rarely need to be repotted as soon as you buy them


they are sold by the pot size and many times have been put in pots that are already too large for the size of their roots.


I grew crotons commercially and at home for years.


Temp- above70,


feed 1/4 strength


light-bright.


No comments:

Post a Comment