Saturday, November 14, 2009

What are the tick looking insects on my Codiaeum(croton) plant?

For the past year my codium has been producing unusual growth on 1/3 of it branches. The stem gets about 5cm X 1cm wide. the tips have multiple but dwarfed nodes and leaf buds all over them.





I noticed some small brown insects that resemble ticks(like dog or cattle ticks but smaller) attached to the plant.





I have never seen this insect before. I know a lot about scales, mealy bugs and other plant bests but wouldn't have a clue what these are

What are the tick looking insects on my Codiaeum(croton) plant?
Maybe it is a kind of smaller tick, like a deer tick. Does it eat the plant?
Reply:There are lots of different types of scale. If they are atatched to the main parts of the stem that is most likely what they are. They could also be afids. Afids come in a wide variety of colors....even pink! In any event you can treat them the same way. Scale is harder to get rid of, but systemic granules do a nice job. in the interum try putting some rubbing alcohol on them to keep them in check. Hope I helped! Keep diggin' in the dirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment